get a free homeowners insurance policy review

Understanding Your Homeowners insurance Coverage for a Water Damage Claim

Your Homeowners Insurance Policy is based on multiple different sections of coverage these are referred to as coverage A, coverage B etc. Today we will go through coverage’s A through D to help you fully understand what is and isn’t covered in a water damage insurance claim.

COVERAGE A: This is the coverage for the dwelling itself

The most important thing to remember before filing a water damage insurance claim is that per the policy your insurance will only cover the loss if its sudden and accidental.

While It isn’t likely that water damage will cause a total loss for your home, requiring a complete rebuild, water damage can be expensive and the cost to repair your home might be higher than you think.

Imagine a burst water pipe and the amount of water that can escape from the burst pipe in just a few minutes, and the time it takes to find the main water valve and shut it off. Now imagine that same pipe bursting but this time, nobody is home. It’s safe to say the damage won’t be contained to one room or even one floor. Water seeps into everything you can imagine, and some areas you didn’t even think possible.

Coverage A, otherwise known as dwelling coverage, pays toward rebuilding your home, so if you have a water damage claim in your home  Coverage A is the coverage that will pay to get it fixed. Additionally coverage A provides coverage to repair the damage from that burst pipe or similar sudden and accidental water damage. In a case where water damage is extensive, the coverage limits of your policy can be tested.

You’ll want to be sure your homeowner’s insurance policy provides enough coverage to rebuild your home back to pre-loss condition. Most cases of water damage, while expensive to completely repair, don’t require a full rebuild, but many items will probably need to be rebuilt or replaced.


What Losses Coverage A Covers Due To Water Damage?


The best way to explain what coverage A covers is that if you turn your house upside down anything that is attached to the house is covered, this will include.

Wood or support structures: Most homes are made with 2×4 wood studs. Rusted nails and wet wood trapped inside walls can weaken your home’s structure. Coverage for water damage applies anywhere in your home assuming the water damage was caused by a covered peril. For example, a flooded basement due to a water heater failure would be covered.

Flooring: If damaged, any type of flooring can be replaced in a covered water damage claim, including carpet, laminate, tile, or wood flooring,. A standard home insurance policy provides coverage for like for like, so a hardwood floor that needs to be replaced should be replaced with hardwood flooring of similar quality nothing more and nothing less.

Drywall: Modern drywall is extremely absorbent and acts like a sponge once it gets wet. This can lead to weakening and eventual disintegration of the drywall as well as difficult mold problems.

Ceilings: If water came in through the roof during a hurricane or storm, the ceiling might need to be replaced. Also, if a spill or overflow on one floor of your home leaked through to the ceiling on the floor below, the ceiling on the lower floor might need to be replaced this applys to condominiums too.

Electrical outlets, wiring, or electrical fixtures: Moisture in the walls can lead to electrical problems and can cause your electronics to short.

 Dwelling coverage also pays for damage from roof leaks. However, the same general rule applies: the damage has to be sudden and accidental.

A strong Hurricane, Tornado, or Storm that removes or damages part of the roof thus causing a leak would be a covered claim.

However, a water damage claim caused by worn out shingles or tiles might be denied being that it’s not a sudden and accidental loss.


COVERAGE B: This is the coverage for  Other Structures.


Under coverage B of your homeowners insurance policy there is also coverage provided for sheds, detached garages, fencing, etc. Most water damage claims happen in the home itself, but it’s possible to have a water damage claim for a detached garage or workshop.

Coverage B is determined as 10 percent of Coverage A. If your home is insured for $500,000, the coverage B value would be $30,000. This amount can always be changed but you will need to speak to your insurance agent when buying your policy.

COVERAGE C: This is the coverage for Personal Property.

Damage to Personal Property is an often overlooked part of incurring a water damage loss.

If you lose the contents of more than one room to water damage, the cost of replacing your belongings can climb quickly. If you have any expensive or antique items in your home make sure to take picture and document it in case of an emergency.

Review your property coverage with your agent or an insurance expert, like a public adjuster, to be sure you have enough coverage.

COVERAGE D: This Is The Coverage For Loss Of Use.


Being that damage from water can be so extensive, there could be times when a water damage claim can force you out of your home for a short period of time. Most home insurance policies provide coverage for temporary lodging if needed. The amount of money your insurer will pay for a loss of use depends on the coverage limit you’ve chosen.. If the water damage to your home requires massive repairs, it’s possible that you could be out of your home for weeks or even months.


Now that we have gone through the different types of coverage offered by your home insurance policy you should have a better understanding of your policy.

If you have to place a water damage claim then assistance from a Public Adjuster could be helpful.

It is as simple as a call or e-mail, where you will schedule an appointment with Lincoln Public Adjusting. We will go to the premises, review your insurance policy and examine the damage.

Remember Don’t Settle For Less

Fill Out The Form For A Free Claim Inspection